Student Support

We want you to get the most out of your Yoobee experience! From arranging accommodation to meeting you on your first day and giving practical advice, our friendly, approachable team will support you and make sure you feel part of the Yoobee family.

International Student Support Staff

Each Yoobee campus has a dedicated International Student Support Officer to assist international students and advocate on their behalf. Based at our Auckland campus, an IAA-licensed immigration adviser can also advise you on New Zealand immigration matters while you are here.



If you would like to stay in a homestay or student accommodation available in some cities, please indicate this during the admissions process so we can arrange it for you. During your stay our International Student Support Officers can assist with your own or your arranged accommodation, if you need it.

Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students

Yoobee College of Creative Innovation has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. The Code of Practice is available in other languages here.


Check out for information relating to all immigration matters, and for easy-to-read advice on working while studying in New Zealand. Remember to apply for your visa with enough time to have it processed before your course starts. You may not commence your programme of study until you have the correct visa allowing you to do so.

Health and Insurances

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services in New Zealand. If you need medical treatment while you’re here, you may be liable for the full cost. Find out more about entitlements to publicly funded health services at: Ministry of Health

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Go to the ACC website for more information.

Medical and Accident Insurance

International students are required by the conditions of their student visa and by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students to have appropriate and comprehensive medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. We recommend the Studentsafe medical and travel Insurance, and can arrange cover for you for the duration of your visa. For more details, check out Studentsafe. Yoobee College of Creative Innovation staff may assist with making claims or pointing you in the right direction for seeking medical treatment in New Zealand.

For those of you who complete your studies and transition onto a work visa, you can take out a Workersafe policy here.

Working in New Zealand

All Yoobee College of Creative Innovation campuses have an employment adviser who delivers employment skills workshops, assists you with creating a Kiwi-style CV and can use connections with the design industry to discuss job availability with you. Student support staff can assist with getting an IRD (New Zealand tax) number. Many students start off working part-time in non-design jobs during their studies until they have the skills needed for design work. Advanced students may find themselves stepping straight into design industry work while studying. Key advantages for making this happen include having a fantastic portfolio or showreel, and good English communication skills.

Sonder Student Safety app

We have partnered with Sonder, a 24/7 personal safety and wellbeing service, to support all our international students. The Sonder app is for personal devices and has a number of features, like “Track My Journey” and “Check On Me”, that will help students live and study in New Zealand with confidence - if you are walking alone at night, going on a first date, or meeting up with a stranger to buy or sell goods, for example.

Additionally, if you are feeling stressed, anxious, lonely, or simply don't know who to turn to, you can speak to Sonder’s multilingual support team anytime via live chat or phone, and they can even send in-person assistance if you need it.

You will receive an activation email or text shortly before orientation. If you don't get your email or text, you will be given a code to use at orientation.

Interested in kicking off your career?

Our friendly course advisors can help with everything you need to know including an outline of study options, key information about enrolment, and all our campuses spread around New Zealand.